The course is designed to provide delegates with methods to help them deal better with criticism, situations of direct confrontation, anger, and negativity in an effective and positive way.
It will help delegates to develop techniques, which will help them to create better working and other relationships through the assertive use of spoken and body language.
For people in management or supervisory positions this course provides an
essential background to avoiding conflict with staff leading to the risk of
unnecessary disciplinary action or claims for unfair dismissal.
Aims & Objectives:
Aims and Objectives:
To enable delegates to:
- Understand the terms 'assertive', 'aggressive', 'manipulative', 'passive' and how they impact on everyday interactions
- Identify the best approach to use when discussing ideas with and expressing opinions to colleagues, especially managers
- Understand the relationship between situations and behaviours and the need for proper structured operational systems and communications in the work situation and all areas of human interaction
- Handle difficult situations and difficult people confidently and assertively
- Identify reasons why communications break down and be better able to see issues from other people's perspective
- To consider the negative mind-sets that prevents people from being open and honest
- Develop strategies to reduce conflict situations in a range of situations
At the end of the course delegates will be able to manage interaction with
other people more effectively and less stressfully. The risk of work place
conflict leading to reduced efficiency can be lessened.
- Understanding a range of different styles of behaviour
- The definition of and benefits of assertive behaviour
- Recognising and dealing with fear and apprehension
- Handling problems, conflicts and difficult situations
- Tackling barriers to assertiveness and avoiding the games people play
- Confronting general problems occurring in the workplace
- Resolving conflict and dealing with difficult people
- Raising sensitive issues
- Understanding the need for assertive, persuasive and positive communication in certain situations
- Moving from negative to positive thinking
- Building your self-esteem and the self-esteem of others
- Initial Assessment - where are you now
- Short PowerPoint presentation
- Exercises for the individuals
- Open Workshop - working in small groups
- Feedback Activity
- Q&A session and Assessment
This is a very practical programme intended to demystify the process of how people interact, reducing tensions in what can be a stressful working environment.
Attendees will they need to:
Have a certain level of practical management knowledge and skills gained
in the workplace (this does not preclude people who are not currently managers
but who wish to progress in that direction).