The direct and consequential cost of temporary works is a significant part of the total cost of a construction project. The consequences of failure of temporary works in the ground are inevitably very serious. For this reason, the safe and competent method selection and construction of sheet piling and cofferdams is critical.
Also available as an online training course.
Please note the online version of this training course will be split into modules.
Aims & Objectives:
On completion of this course, delegates should be able to:
- Choose the most appropriate method of ground support, by evaluating sheet piling against alternative support mechanisms
- Select a suitable sheet pile
- Instruct the most economic, safe and buildable cofferdam layout, including walers and struts
- Select the most effective support equipment when trenching
- Provide an accurate and adequate design brief for the temporary works
- Choose the most effective piling hammer and supervise its use in installation and extraction
- Run an economical cofferdam operation
- Be safe
Mode of Delivery:
This 1 day course will be primarily run as a presentation with extensive still and video illustrations appropriate to the practical content. The numbers accepted will be small to encourage questions and discussion so that personal experiences can be exchanged, and all can benefit from the lecturer's 40 years of experience.
End of course assessment.
Benefits of Attending:
Previous attendees have gained a good all-round understanding of safe installation and extraction, so that they could benefit from attending the later related course on design.
Alternatively, those with previous practical experience have found that they have enhanced their detail skills for economic, safe, & practical sheet piling and supports.
- Design engineers with technical knowledge at HNC level and above, who wish to provide practical designs in compliance with CDM requirements. They will be Civil, Structural or Geotechnical Engineers.
- Site Engineers & Managers who are either new to the process, or wish to enhance their existing abilities.
- Managers of Contractors, Consultants, Clients and Suppliers, looking for practical comprehension of the sheet piling operations under their command.