A proper understanding of the purpose and intention of the Red Book, as well as a grasp of the Conditions and Forms within it, is essential for parties and professionals involved in the administration of internationally procured civil engineering contracts. The purpose of this training course is to provide those parties and professionals with the necessary information and background to enable them to effectively carry out their duties under the Red Book. Some informal discussion sessions and case studies are built into the programme to assist delegates to appreciate the importance of the proper use of the Red Book.
Attendance at the course will be an opportunity to engage in an interactive day which will provide plenty of interest and some fun along the way.
Aims & Objectives:
On completion of this course, delegates will have a good grip of the important provisions of the Red Book, particularly those relating to payment, Variations, claims and disputes. The course content will examine all aspects of administration of the Contract from formation through to the end of the Defects Notification Period.
In particular, it will enable delegates to:
- Define the options available when receiving instructions from the Engineer in regard to the Commencement Date, Variations and Unforeseeable ground conditions
- Describe a variety of methods for measuring and valuing work, especially Variations
- Define individual responsibilities when work is in progress, and when work may be suspended
- List the considerations necessary when preparing programmes, monthly reports and claims
- Determine how to select the best means of resolving disputes
- Avoid pitfalls when giving notices and particulars of claims
- Apply the skills required to present claims and dispute references
- State the benefits of good records
- Overview of Conditions and Forms
- Background: Clauses 1 to 4
- Nominated Subcontractors: Clause 5
- Contractor’s Resources: Clause 6 and 7
- Commencement, Delays and Suspension: Clause 8
- Completion and After: Clauses 9 to 11
- Payment and Variations: Clauses 12 to 14
- Risks and Remedies: Clauses 15 to 19
- Claims, Disputes and Arbitration: Clause 20
- Forms and other documents in the Red Book
Mode of Delivery:
There will be an analysis of the most important Clauses, with each delegate asked to explain what he/she thinks they mean as we proceed.
There will be case studies and the opportunity to discuss and debate them and appreciate that sometimes there is more than one way of addressing situations. It will not be a seminar or presentation by PowerPoint.
Any party to a Contract let under the Red Book, and for all levels of personnel including the Employer’s and Contractor’s Representatives, the Engineer and his assistants.
It will be helpful if delegates bring a copy of the Red Book and can have at least had a preliminary look at the structure of it. It is not necessary to have read a text book on it.