Eurocode 2 is the new design standard for structural concrete in bridges. Eurocode 7 is the design standard for geotechnical design. This course will provide background to the provisions in the codes and explain how to apply them to bridge structures. Practical workshop sessions allow delegates to get to grips with the details and be confident of using Eurocodes 2 and 7 for real projects.
Aims & Objectives:
On completion of this course, delegates will understand the principles of Eurocodes 2 and 7 and be able to apply them to bridge structures.
On completion of this course delegates will:
- Have a knowledge of basis of design (EC0) and traffic loading (EC1-2)
- Have an understanding of the content of Eurocode 2 for bridges, including
- Structural Analysis
- Know how to apply Eurocode 2 to
- Prestressed elements
- Know how to design for
- Axial loading
- Punching shear
- Know how to apply Eurocode 7 to
- Foundation design
- Retaining structures
- Introduction to Eurocode 2 and relationship to other Eurocodes and European Standards
- Basis of design, combinations of actions and traffic loading with design exercise (EC0 and EC1-2)
- Materials, durability, structural analysis and prestressing
- Ultimate limit state
- Flexural design with design exercise
- Shear design with design exercise
- Punching shear
- Axial resistance with design exercise
- Serviceability limit state - deflection and Crack control
- Introduction to detailing
- Eurocode 7
- Retaining structures with design exercise
- Review of design aids and guidance
Mode of Delivery:
The course is an interactive training day and consists of presentations interspersed with practical design exercises.
Benefits of Attending:
This course will give delegates confidence to be able to tackle the design of a concrete bridge using Eurocodes 2 and 7.
This course is intended for bridge engineers. Some knowledge of design of concrete bridges is desirable.
A calculator and pencil are essential.