The refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the full SMSTS course or subsequent refresher course and can provide proof of attendance. It aims to bring health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact in the workplace. The course includes a wide range of topics many building on the previous five-day course programme as well as introducing new subjects.
Aims & Objectives:
The refresher course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues; and
- Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation, and new working practices.
At the end of the period of training, delegates will be:
- Aware of, and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as Managers.
- Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry best practice
- More aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
A selection of topics to meet candidate specific needs such as:
- Overview of legislation implemented since last course and expected new legislation
- Expansion of new and expected legislation
- Risk assessments
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Accident reporting, investigation, prevention and control
- Management of health on site
- Behaviour-based safety
- Drugs and alcohol misuse
- Control of asbestos
- Lone working
- Environmental management
- Waste management
- Stress and time management
- Leadership and organisation
- Communication and motivation
- Training and development
Mode of Delivery:
The preferred method of delivering the refresher course is on two consecutive days. It is recognised that training providers may have to deliver this course as two separate non-consecutive days on occasions to meet client needs; however, every effort should be made to run the course by the preferred method. It is important that continuity of training is maintained on this short intensive course.
The course is a mix of teaching, discussion and examples comprising of selected suitable topics for group exercises and evaluation of knowledge. Much of the content will be generated by the specific needs of the delegates. The course concludes with a 30 minute multiple choice examination
Benefits of Attending:
Delegates are required to attend both sessions, since without full attendance and achievement in the examination the renewal of the Construction Site Manager’s Safety Certificate cannot be made.
Delegates must attend the days in order and, where not on consecutive days, must complete the course within two weeks. Delegates unable to attend both days due to extenuating circumstances (e.g. certificated sickness) will need to enrol onto a new course in order to maintain continuity of learning outcomes and attend both days again.
Only those delegates who hold an existing SMSTS or subsequent refresher course and provide evidence to the training provider before the course are eligible. Failure to attend the refresher course prior to the expiry of an existing certificate will require delegates to re-enter the scheme by completing the full SMSTS course if they wish to remain in the scheme