The use of geosynthetics, the generic name for geotextiles, geogrids, geonets and geombranes, has developed over the past 40 years to the point where virtually every construction project includes a geosynthetic material somewhere in the works. This course aims to demystify the materials, the design, specification and quality controls needed to ensure that the materials are used in an optimum manner to the best benefit of the works.
The course tutor has been involved with the geosynthetics industry for 35 years and is the leading UK independent expert in this area of geomaterials
Aims & Objectives:
On completion of this course, delegates will:
- Understand the differences between the different polymers used in the manufacture of geosynthetics.
- Understand the differences between the types of products and where to use them.
- Be able to carry out basic designs of geosynthetics used for separation, filtration, protection and reinforcement of steep slopes
- Understand the importance of specification for geosynthetics and the key points required for each type of material.
- Understand the types of tests carried out on the materials and how the results are used to aid design and quality control in the factory and on site
The course will enable delegates to understand different types of geosynthetic materials, the polymers used in their production and how to ensure the quality of the materials. The basic design methods will be explained and linked to specification. Detailing and construction methods will be explained so that they can apply their knowledge with confidence.
- Introduction & history of geosynthetics in the UK
- Polymers and other materials used as geosynthetics – samples of many types of geosynthetics will be available to aid future identification.
- Geosynthetics, applications and functions
- Design of separators, filters and slope reinforcement
- Elements of specification and model documents
- Testing of geosynthetics and quality control
Mode of Delivery:
- The day will be made up of several presentations,
- Short calculation exercises will follow the session on design. The course tutor will provide correct answers to each exercise and take the delegates through them.
- Discussion from attendees will be actively encouraged.
- A copy of the steep slope design software will be made available to delegates.
Benefits of Attending:
‘Lots of information & good info for future work’
‘Very good course’
‘Very good overview of good practice’
‘Understanding of practical uses of anchors, piles, etc’
‘Practical examples & experience of tutor very helpful’
‘A good introduction to piling and anchoring systems’
Anyone involved in construction who wishes to learn more about geosynthetic materials.
Complete a pre-course questionnaire highlighting:
- Any geosynthetic knowledge and experience that you have
- Any particular areas that you wish to be covered
This information will allow the course to be tailored to suit the attendees’ experience.