Highway Drainage Construction and Maintenance
Approved by IHE
Climate change and increased frequency of flooding are drivers of public awareness of the significance of effective surface water drainage and the need for greater protection of property and life. This one day course gives guidance on highway drainage construction, methods for attenuation of storm flows and the vital role of ongoing maintenance.
Aims & Objectives:
- To raise awareness of the importance of ensuring design is translated into good construction practice, and ongoing maintenance is given the appropriate priority to ensure surface water systems continue to function effectively.
- To emphasize the significance of controlling pollution and containing storm outflows, using features of SUDS
- To give guidance on current environmental & highway concerns relating to climate change and flood risk.
On completion of this course, delegates will have:
- A working knowledge of the various specification and construction approaches to the provision of effective road drainage systems.
- A broad understanding of the range of drainage options, their appropriateness and cost effective application.
- Knowledge of the likely impact of Climate Change on road drainage and ongoing maintenance of the infrastructure.
- Elements of Surface Water Drainage Systems
- Methods of Controlling/Containing Stormwater Flows (including SUDS features)
- Climate Change and Flood Risk Management
- Specification and Installation of Highway Drainage Systems
- Service Inspections & Maintenance of Highway Drainage Systems
Mode of Delivery:
- Initial assessment,
- Visual aids (DVD, video and PowerPoint)
- Open Forum Discussion
Benefits of Attending:
- An increase and/or update in knowledge of highway drainage systems, their construction and ongoing maintenance
- A greater awareness of the effects of climate change and the need for control of storm flows
- Graduates and technicians newly involved in road construction and maintenance
- Experienced staff requiring an update in drainage technology
Complete pre-course questionnaire and identify any local concerns and incidents involving highway drainage.