Management of Earthworks
This course forms part of a group of courses intended for a Contractor's employees to raise their awareness, knowledge and understanding of each of the areas covered.
The course will examine the various aspects which can affect the performance of the completed earthworks during the construction phase. This will include the basic principles of the design in so far as they can affect the construction and ultimate performance of the scheme.
Aims & Objectives:
The course will enable delegates to develop a deeper understanding of a range of aspects relating to earthworks activities:
- Identifying types of soils
- Be aware of the design requirements for a range of activities
- Be able to assess a bore-hole log
- Have an appreciation of good (and bad) site practices related to earthwork operations
- Identify different types of earthwork activities
- Have a raised awareness of health, safety and risk issues related to earthworks
- Identify soil characteristics which are significant in determining an appropriate strategy for backfilling and compaction operations
- Identify the construction elements of pavement construction and factors determining the build up of layers subject to loadings and existing ground conditions
- Identify quality control measures necessary to ensure successful completion of pavement construction
- Describe methods available and their appropriate use for ground improvement
- Defintion of Earthworks
- Site investigation & borehole interpretation
- Soil Types- cohesive, non-cohesive & mixed
- Classification of soils to the "Highways" specification
- Processed stone from UK quarries
- Soil testing
- Bulk earthworks
- Selection & operation of earthmoving plant
- Health & safety issues concerning bulk earthwork operations
- Compaction - use of the "Highways" specification
- Pavement construction - rigid & flexible
- Soil improvement methods
Mode of Delivery:
- General introduction followed by assessment of needs and capabilities of delegates
- Presentation by tutor using PowerPoint, with illustrations, photographs and videos
- Group and individual exercises
- Discussion sessions - opportunity to share experiences
- Course review and summary
- End of course assessment
Benefits of Attending:
This course is designed to provide an appreciation of the issues which can arise during the construction process which can have an impact on both the short term and ultimate performance of earthworks.
Anyone who is involved in earthworks related to the construction process.
Delegates will be asked to bring examples of good - and not so good - site practices that they are aware of.