An entry level course to cover the basic principles behind reinforced concrete (RC) detailing, highlighting different aspects of the detailing process and their effects on the construction process plus consideration of the process from an Engineering Designer's perspective in achieving good practice and economic detailing.
Aims & Objectives:
On completion of this course delegates will:
- Determine the most suitable format for detailing within given time / financial constraints.
- Define individual responsibilities within the detailing process, apply the appropriate checks and Code clauses to ensure compliance.
- Determine how to select the correct reinforcement layout to suit both the design and buildability considerations.
- Avoid common pitfalls when detailing by the application of basic good practice rules.
- Establish what information is required of the Detailer, how to present it, plus where to source information required by them to complete their work efficiently.
- Apply basic principles to help with progressively more complex detailing.
- What the Detailer needs to produce
- Why the information is required
- Who uses what piece of information and why
- Useful places / publications / information sources for the Detailer
- Standard guidelines for the production of both General Arrangement and Reinforcement drawings
- Use of dedicated detailing packages covering potential advantages and disadvantages
- Detailing Methods
- Overview of three main detailing methods including potential advantages and disadvantages
- Economy in detailing, providing the right information for the right price
- Definitions, application and guidance on calculation of the required lengths using the ISE Standard Method (SMDSC)
- Definitions, governing criteria and identification from BS 8666 (2005)
- Simple detailing exercise followed by discussion on basic good practice detailing for common elements (potential to tailor to Client specific requirements)
Mode of Delivery:
The day is designed to be an interactive process with continuous delegate feedback/discussion based around individual experience and requirements set against the different topics covered in the Course content.
A simple hand detailing exercise is included putting the theory into practice and demonstrating important points covered during the day.
Benefits of Attending:
- The confidence, ability and understanding to detail simple RC elements regardless of previous knowledge / experience.
- An overall understanding of where detailing fits within the construction process and the theory behind it.
- An appreciation of flexible good practice detailing and the importance of error reduction within the completed drawings and schedules.
Novice / entry level (ONC / HNC) Civil / Structural Technicians and Detailers ideally from a Designer / Consultant background OR other Construction Industry Professionals wishing to gain a basic insight and understanding of the RC detailing process. Previous experience in detailing is not a pre-requisite.
Delegates will need to bring to the course a Calculator, pencil, eraser and scale rule.