Our Drainage Design (Foul & Surface Water) course covers the sources of flows, gravity sewer hydraulics, foul and surface water flows, designing to "Sewers for Adoption", pipe strength calculations and sewer maintenance and rehabilitation.
Also available as an online training course.
Please note the online version of this training course will be split into modules.
The course is based on "Urban Drainage" by David Butler and John W Davies. The design of foul and surface water sewerage systems requires knowledge of many different characteristics of the drainage area or catchment. This course provides an outline of the information required and where this may be obtained.
Aims & Objectives:
The course will enable delegates to develop a deeper understanding of the design of foul and surface water sewers:
- Determine foul flows
- Understand rainfall theory and use it to determine surface water flows
- " Designing to 'Sewers for Adoption' and 'deemed to satisfy' criteria.
- Understand how bedding factors can be used for the determination of pipe strength requirements
- Outline some rehabilitation systems and sewer maintenance techniques
At the end of the Course Delegates will:
- have an understanding of how to calculate foul and surface water flows in sewers;
- have an appreciation of the hydraulics of pipe flow;
- be able to size pipes for given flows;
- understand how to determine pipe strengths for different locations.
- Appreciate the dangers associated with working in sewers.
The course will comprise:
- Historic context and legislation - who is responsible for what
- Gravity sewer hydraulics
- Foul flows
- Surface water flows
- Designing to Sewers for Adoption
- Pipe strength calculations
- Sewer maintenance and rehabilitation
Please note: The design of SuDS is not covered in any depth on this course – please refer to our one day introductory course on the Engineering Aspects of SuDS for more information.
Mode of Delivery:
- Assessment of needs and capabilities of delegates
- Presentation by tutor using PowerPoint, with illustrations and photographs
- Several group or individual exercises
Benefits of Attending:
- Understanding the sources of sewer flows
- Design process foul and surface water sewers, including deemed to satisfy criteria.
- Understand how sewers can be rehabilitated and maintained.
- Civils Graduates or Earth Science Graduates with some basic understanding of hydrology/hydraulics
- Graduate Engineers and Technicians who are involved in the design of large and small foul and surface water sewers
- The course requires some mathematical ability
Delegates should bring scientific calculators and scale rules with them.