Symmons Madge has developed a programme of courses that are targeted to the provision of training in areas that you may need a little refreshing to assist you in passing the NHSS31 certification.
Module C1 – Introduction to Inspections provide an excellent introduction to the Certification Scheme and its requirements.
Module C2 Structures, Types and Elements/Behaviours of Structures gives a detailed understanding of bridges and the difficult topic of structural behaviour. C1 and C2 and considered to be the priority modules for anyone starting the process to becoming certified.
Endorsed by CIHT for CPD - Approved Training Provider
IHE approved CPD - IHE Approved Highway Engineering Academy Training
Also available as an online training course.
Please note the online version of this training course will be split into modules.
Bridge Inspector Certification Scheme NHSS31 - Module C1 and C2
(This forms part of a 4 day course - please ask for further details on the related modules)
In January 2016, the UK Bridges Board and the Irish National Roads Authority introduced the National Highways and Sector Scheme 31 (NHSS31) ‘Bridge Inspector Certification Scheme’. Lantra are the management and assessing body for NHSS31. England (IAN 192) and Transport Scotland (Interim Amendment 46/16) have introduced NHSS31 as mandatory requirements.
This certification is required to operate as a Bridge Inspector and involves the submission of an e-portfolio and satisfactorily passing an interview. The e-portfolio is developed around a suite of 7 core modules which encompass inspection process, structural types, structural mechanics, causes of failure and repair methods.
Aims & Objectives:
- The participant will have a greater appreciation of the BICS application process and how to complete it efficiently and to the required standard.
- The participant will have sufficient understanding of their skills and experience to complete their application, whether it be for ‘Inspector’ or ‘Senior Inspector’
The course is aligned directly with the requirements of NHSS31 and provides the participants with sufficient material to complete the application process. The training material is designed to also be revision material to be used in aiding completing the application.
We have seen that inspectors in industry have had difficulty in interpreting the requirements of the online application and we aim to provide guidance to increase confidence in the process and accelerate the participants movement towards certification.
On completion of this course, delegates will be able to apply an understanding of the following to assist in the completion of their BICS accreditation;
- Introduction to NHSS31 Processes,
- Description of roles of inspectors and responsibilities
- The importance and purpose of bridge inspections
- Inspection Types
- Inspection codes of practice and guidance
- Major bridge elements
- primary and secondary elements
- span form, construction form and construction materials
- Water management systems
- Utilities, signing and lighting
- Retaining Walls
- Bridge Loading
- Load paths
- Failure modes
- Material response to loading
- Structure response to loading
Properties of Common Construction Materials
- Primary and secondary materials
- Reinforced concrete
- Prestressed concrete
- Post-tensioned concrete
Properties of Specialist Materials
- Wrought Iron
- Cast Iron
- Advanced Composites
Mode of Delivery:
The mode of delivery is such that in addition to standard presentation, significant benefit is gained from knowledge sharing between tutor and participants which brings forward examples of evidence that can be applied to the BICS application process.
- Tutor Presentation with Visual Aids
- Individual or Group Exercises
- Feedback Activity
- Final Assessment
Benefits of Attending:
- Greater understanding of bridges in areas where they may not have operated.
- A much greater opportunity of passing the NHSS31 certification
- Reduced time to complete the NHSS31 application, which can take up to 120 hours at present.
Inspectors with little experience to vastly experienced inspectors. We align the training to all levels to the benefit of all.