NEC4: Design Build and Operate Contract
The NEC4 Design Build and Operate contract (DBO) allows Clients to procure a more integrated whole-life delivery solution. It reflects the increasing demand for contracts extending into the operational phase.
The benefit of the NEC4 DBO contract is that it combines the responsibilities for design, construction, operation and/or maintenance, which can be procured from a single supplier. The DBO contract can include a variety of services during construction and after works are completed.
Aims & Objectives:
At the end of the course, participants should be able to: -
- Appreciate the philosophy and content of the NEC4 family of documents
- Understand the more important clauses of the NEC4 Design Build and Operate Contract
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the key parties
- Be able to support management of an NEC4 Design Build and Operate Contract
Session 1 Brief Overview of the NEC4 family
- Engineering and Construction Contract and Subcontract
- Engineering and Construction Short Contract and Subcontract
- Professional Service Contract and Subcontract
- Term Service Contract and Subcontract
- Term Service Short Contract
- Design Build and Operate Contract
- Supply Contract
- Supply Short Contract
- Dispute Resolution Service Contract
- Framework Contract
The NEC4 Design Build and Operate Contract
Session 2 Principles of Design Build and Operate Contracts
Session 3 The Roles of the Parties
Session 4 Option Clauses
Session 5 General Provisions and Consultant’s Main Responsibilities
Session 6 Time and Programme
Session 7 Quality Management
Session 8 Payment and the Schedule of Cost Components
Session 9 Compensation Events
Session 10 Use of equipment, Plant and Materials, Liabilities and Insurance
Session 11 Termination, Dispute Avoidance and Resolution
Session 12 Preparing tenders
Practical Workshop Applying the contract in the workplace. Hands on activity to address delegate priorities.
Mode of Delivery:
The course is delivered through a mix of briefing lectures and classroom discussion and hands on debate of approaches to workplace situations. Each delegate is asked to prepare a plan which considers how the delegate will apply the contract and learning from this course in the workplace.
This 1 day course is for Clients and Contractors who are new to the NEC4 contracts, with little or no experience of using these, and who wish to understand the main elements of the NEC4 contracts.
The course will cover the use of Design, Build Operate (DBO) as a procurement method, in addition to covering the NEC4 Design, Build and Operate Contract.