There are many reasons why appraisals fail to deliver - some are:
- Lack of commitment by employer and line manager
- This then leads to disillusionment by the employee
- Poor communication - leading to misunderstandings and misconceptions
- Lack of effective actual job description - leading to non existence of any realistic means of measuring performance
- No effective setting of goals and standards - to be measured against
- Too close a link with salary
- Unskilled Performance Managers
Aims & Objectives:
- Establish a work climate conducive to productive performance management
- Initiate and maintain positive communication about work performance versus work expectations
- Help employees prepare properly for performance appraisal
- Prepare and conduct performance discussion which encourages an exchange of information and produces better results
- Follow through on agreed commitments.
The course starts by examining, in detail why Appraisals produce mixed results. The preparation by both parties is a fundamental ingredient in any successful Management system so the course continues by examining "how to prepare effectively". Establishing Performance Management "good practice" follows.
Finally ensuring the commitment to the follow-up process is essential - particularly feedback and delivering agreed commitments.
- The Essentials of Better Performance Management
- How to prepare for more effective Performance Management
- Managing Performance
- Providing effective follow-up
Anyone [at all levels] who is currently or will shortly be trying to manage his or her team more effectively .