Our Introduction to Construction Materials course aims to improve knowledge of construction material properties and details how to order, offload, store, handle and check common construction materials including Steelwork, Concrete & Reinforcement, Timber & Plywood and Brick & Blockwork.
This course is designed to improve knowledge of construction materials. At least 1 year of construction experience is required of delegates.
- Properties of steel, ordering, offloading and storage of steel on site
- Safe Steelwork assembly on site
- Corrosion, steelwork detailing, bolted and welded connections, inspection
- Construction tolerance and codes of practice
Concrete & Reinforcement
- Material & properties on concrete, concrete mixes and concrete pressures
- Strength gain and durability
- Understanding concrete specifications, sampling and testing concrete
- Placing, curing and making good concrete
- Shrinkage, cracking and expansion joints, cold weather working
Timber & Plywood
- Properties of timber, grading of timber, ordering and storage of timber
- Structural connections
- Typical timber construction and other use of timber on site
- Exposed timber
Brick & Blockwork
- Properties of brick and block, quantities ordering, offloading and storage
- Understanding specifications and achieving quality (sample & reference panels)
- Laying brick and block, properties of mortar, sampling and testing
- Cavity construction, damp proof, cavity trays, insulation and ties Mortar bed reinforcement, spanning opening and expansion joints
- Cold weather working
Trainees, junior engineers, graduates, foremen, supervisors, agents.