Benefits for the Student:
- Opportunity to be able to step-back and reflect on the relevance of their course
- General maturing process takes place
- Opportunity to receive a reasonable salary – and off-set debts
- Valuable opportunity to get a realistic practical “taste” of the chosen branch of engineering
- Significantly enhanced prospects of employment once graduated and potential for speedier promotion
- Opportunity to develop awareness of the link between academic and practical skills
- Enhanced self-confidence and team member skills
- Anecdotal evidence suggests that students who take part in the Year in Industry scheme are more likely to achieve a higher grade than if they did not
- The Year in Industry will count for 10% of the final degree grade, when completed
- Opportunity of a break from academic studies
- For Mechanical and Medical Engineering students, there is an opportunity to register on the IMechE MPDS (Monitored Professional Development Scheme)
The Students will possess a very useful document for their future career - the YiI Competences can be used for early completion of the Professional Institution Competences and could reduce the time period before they are able to take your review for Professional Engineering (IEng or CEng) qualification. The Competences are common to all engineering institutions regulated by the Engineering Council.
Our Year In Industry Coordinator Bethan, and Trefor a Year in Industry tutor, give a brief overview of why Engineering students can benefit from a Year In Industry placement.